Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Part 21 “Somnopathy”


This is a pretty rough spot. Now the enemy has the outer walls, and we have to hold the second gate. You see, this is exactly why you don't use a cheese portcullis, melts in the sun, and then the backup gets eaten away by rats. It looks like we can hold them here though. The war-priests are keeping us in good condition, and their blessings of strength are helping us hold the gate while our archers take out some of the mass of enemies. I can hear The Captain calling out targets for the archers and positions for the war-priests to attend to. Occasionally our resident mage unleashes a cascade of flames or a burst of lightning amongst the enemy wherever their men group tightly. We can hold them here.

The fighting continues. Something's different now, though. Why isn't The Captain calling out orders anymore? I didn't hear anyone cry out that he's been hit, and nobody is taking his place of command. Where did he go, what's going on? The archers while still firing are less focused on those mounting the outer walls and taking the gates at the sides. Blast it, if they get through there we'll have to guard the western and southern gates as well. The mage is probably growing weary, he's resorting to less powerful spells taking out smaller groups. He ought to be able to keep the spells coming regularly though, I've heard they aren't tiring to cast at all.

The rush of strength from the most recent of the war-priest's blessings fade. Another one isn't laid upon us though. Are they gone too? Perhaps they've moved to help defend the other gates. We're slowly getting pressed back though now.

Arrows stop raining from our side of the battlefield. Did someone get through are they on the wall? I can't hear any cries from above. Perhaps we're preparing to withdraw to the keep. The archers would have to get in first. We aren't holding this gate much longer, the men to my sides are getting tired as the injuries start to build up.

The small scale bursts of magic energy and frost cease. The men and I fall back to the keep's gate. I don't hear anyone else in there, though. Where did everyone go? I don't see any bodies on the walls. They didn't die up there. The enemy continues their press. Is it just our line left of the defense?

How long have I been fighting? I remember the line breaking, the men retreating into the keep. Disorder, a room, a doorway. Now I'm here, in a small room. A single doorway, men come in and fall to my blade. Archers fire, either missing or glancing off of my armor. Another one down, and another. Just me, my sword, my armor, shelves of tiny glass figurines, and a press of enemy infantry. I don't feel tired though, I feel as though I could keep this up all day. My sword disappears just as I'm about to parry a spear thrust.

I wake up in my tavern room. Covered in blood, corpses on the ground, and severed limbs scattered about. A city watchman breaks the door open.

No comments:

Post a Comment