Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Part 19 “Establishing Intent”


I take a drink as she offers the platter of bread and cheese, the beer that was set out is better than the stuff being served at the counter. The bread and cheese only compliment it. I need to calm down, I can't see what she is trying to get at. She looks pleased about something, though. Does she expect me to just start telling her of every retreat now that she'd pulled that out of me?

“Why?”

“Hm?”

“Why bother talking to me about this? I was thinking that you were pulling me along to tell you more, give you something to work with, tell you some stories that you could blow out of proportion. But you haven't asked me to tell you anything. Clearly you already know what you need to, so why?”

“Fine, I'll give you a little to ease your mind,” she coos in sympathy and purses her lips, “There's something that makes a good bard a great bard, and that would be knowing people. There's a big difference between knowing about someone and knowing someone. Our little exchange is letting me get to know you. That's really all I have to tell you on the matter, I can't let you in on all the bardic secrets, now.” Her stress on the word 'know' and her smirk at the end...

“There are about to be a lot more stories about me circulating around, aren't there?” I should probably get going, I don't need her getting more out of me than she already has, whatever that might be. I begin to stand.

“It depends, you are very interesting, but there are also others. Knowing what to put into verse is the other part of being a bard, and I still have a lot to sort through when it comes to you. It'll be fun to find out where you go from here,” she stands almost in synch with me, “While it isn't my place to interfere much in your story, I will leave you with a few words of advice. Take care of yourself, you aren't in The Emerald Dragons right now, you don't have a medic around to patch up your scratches, you do get scratches now and again, right? I would suggest Dimner Glamerfont's Goods, right across the way from Dartac's, he sells some fairly potent healing poultices at a fair price. Wouldn't want your story cut short by an infected scratch in the woods, now, that wouldn't be very heroic at all... Well now, I will bid you good night.” She leaves the back room, patting my shoulder as she passes. I decide to sit again and have a bit more to drink before following.

The house is full tonight, the innkeep doesn't have a spare room without windows. Some merchants from the west paid extra for the ones he already had. Well I guess I'll be staying vigilant, tonight.

He asks for that story again, but I really have nothing to follow that up with. He understands, and Donja is starting up a song of the ancient Bijaucian Empire as I leave the counter.

I lock the window and sit down holding my sword, whetting the blade to stave off sleep. My body has other plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment