Thursday, March 15, 2012

Part 20 “Doing a Job” =Derreck=


Here I am again... I really never should have shown that trick crossbow shot in front of the Brothers. Ever since then they've had me sit on a roof near every one of their blasted hits. This wasn't ever supposed to be my job, it's cold, dangerous, tiring, and risky. 'Oh, hey guys, Derreck the lookout is great with a crossbow. Did you see him hit that bulls-eye from a hundred paces, with one hand? We should get him to run insurance on some of our hits.'

Look there goes a watchman on patrol, is that the same one? Is he only rounding this block? Hope he can't see me over here... Where are the Blades? Moe is almost always late but the other guy should be here by now. Wait, there they are, that's a good spot. The guard is around the corner now, he's on the wrong side of the inn and he's stopped there for a few minutes every round.

Haven't seen any movement since the mark went into his room, but I can't see the bed from here, I figure he's asleep. I give them the signal to go for it. I'll give this job that much, getting to use this night sight ring is pretty neat. Everything is all sharp looking, like all the shade in the world just decided to up and leave.

Loading a bolt into the my crossbow and aiming for the window, now, also hoping this job'll be boring. Wait, a third, and a fourth Blade? Didn't even know we had four blades on this job. Don't know the other guys, guess it's Eeney Meeney Miney and Moe then, huh? What did this mark do? Glad I'm not him. The Blades descend the wall on ropes from the rooftop, and Eeney makes quick work of the window's lock. Well, they're in. Three of them stand back and watch as Miney moves out of my view toward the bed, guess he is asleep. That's good. That means I, once again, won't actually have to do anything but be the lookout.

There's what must have been a flash of something, the whole room went a little blue there. Some sort of spell? Hard to tell with the night sight ring. There a buzzing and a scream. All of the Blades pull their knives, Eeney's doesn't even make it out of the sheath before a long blade sweeps from out near the bed, crackling with lightning, and takes off his arm.

The hell?

Meeney dodges toward the mark ducking under a swing, and out of my view. There's a clang and a knife spins past the window and bounces off the wall. That watchman heard those, he's heading into the inn now. Shit, come into view! I can't see him from here, I can't very well shoot this guy if you don't get him to come near the window.

Then Moe dashes for the window. I can't get a clear shot as the mark comes up behind him and, well, Moe's head made it out the window. Surprisingly little blood now that I think of it... He raises that huge sword almost casually. By the Three! He just looked right at me, how can he see me from there? He looks pissed. I shoot, the bolt bounces off his sword, damn that was a hasty shot, calm down, I can get another off before he's even out the door. The mark starts to move toward the door as I reload.

My string is cut and I'm pulled to the ground as someone presses a dagger, hey that's my dagger, to my neck.

“I give, I give. Don't kill me please.”

“I don't plan to, but I will if you don't feel like delivering this to your bosses. Tell them that if anyone's going to assassinate that one, it'll be me when I deem it necessary. I don't take kindly to others infringing on my marks.” His face is covered by a plain, round mask all I can see are his eyes, the hand not on my dagger proffers a playing card. It's a king of swords, and it's been stabbed through with a knife, right on the neck, on both sides. “Tell your bosses if they don't want these on their pillows they won't send anyone else after this one.”

“Y-yes, let me go.” He lets go of the dagger, grabs a pendant he's wearing, and disappears. I pick up the card and my dagger. I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment