Thursday, November 3, 2011

Part 16 “Fullest Extent of the Law”


I head in, and Dartac tells me that they can drop everything else and get my armor ready tomorrow, before noon. After that the shield should take almost no time at all. He seems to want me satisfied and out of the smithy in a hurry. Almost pulling me out by the hand, he leaves me with, “It's bad luck for a warrior to see his armor under the hammer, unless the hammer is his.”

While it is hopefully an unnecessary measure, my next stop is the guardhouse. If that cloaked man was serious there might be some trouble before tomorrow, and I'd rather have them know than not know. While I can probably take ruffians like him, and this belt Norrin gave me should keep them from getting me in my sleep, it would be hard to explain to the authorities. If I have one of my blackouts it would be even harder.

The nearest watchman directs me to the guardhouse, and I make it without issue. The building is actually rather impressive, most cities I've been in don't make their guardhouses this defensible. It's probably built to serve as a defensive bastion for any who can't make it into the inner walls quickly after a breach in the outer walls.

A man about my age sits just inside the doors behind a very sturdy looking wooden desk. He looks me up and down, “I'm sorry, sir, we aren't taking on any more watchmen at this time.”

“Not here for work, I'm here to report some trouble.”

He opens a drawer pulls a paper out of it. Taking a pen he starts writing, “Name, occupation and current residence?”

“Leo, mercenary, no residence.”

“Are you a citizen?”

“No.”

“So, what is the trouble?”

I recount the events of yesterday and today involving the ruffians and the cloaked fellow and his threat. All throughout he takes notes. He seems somewhat relieved when I let him know I'll only be staying here for one night.

“If you were from around here, I'd tell you that you were crazy for sticking around for some armor. Judging by the location of that attack, I'd say you've drawn the ire of the Brothers of the Coin. They will probably try to kill you tonight if they can, especially since you're a nobody around here. I'd offer to let you stay in a cell just for safe keeping, but, quite honestly, part of the reason we haven't driven them out yet is because they've got so many watchmen paid off. The best I can do for you is make sure one of the men I trust is patrolling near the tavern you're staying at. I can also give you some advice, get a room without a window if you can, and if you can't I'd suggest not sleeping. As a non-citizen, while you are allowed to defend yourself, if you kill an attacker, and you look like the sort that can, you will need significant proof that they intended to kill you, or you will be arrested, and as I already said, I don't trust you to be safe in a cell if those bastards are after you.”

Well then, that's useful, guess I'll have to try and hold back if I can. Better than nothing, I guess. I let him know that I'm staying at the Brass Bearings Tavern, and leave. I spend the afternoon placing food orders to be picked up tomorrow. I return to the tavern just in time for dinner being served in the common room. I can smell the cooking and the ale as I enter. The innkeeper makes sure I have a seat at the bar and asks me again if I have any war stories to tell.

Just as I'm about to start, a woman in brightly colored traveling garb, who had previously been sitting at a table in the center of the room playing a small harp, rises from her chair and stands on the table. She inquires in a loud voice overtaking the dull roar of people talking over dinner, “How many of you have heard about the commotion over at Anton's Smithy yesterday?”

Oh no...

No comments:

Post a Comment