Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Part 15 “Cartog-rage-phy”


I make it to the cartographer without any more trouble. The shop is a bit stuffy, but it's well maintained. In the large room, an older fellow sits at a slanted table near other similar tables and desks covered in paper, bottles of ink, pens and other tools that I don't recognize. He doesn't react to my entry.

“Hello, I'm looking for a map.”

He continues working, “Well, I'd hope so. If you weren't, I'd sell you one anyway. Coming here for anything else is a clear sign of being lost. Please, wait just a moment, I can't stop quite yet.” His pen dances along the parchment for a short while before he sets it down and turns to me, he looks a little haggard. “So a map you say, could you perhaps be a bit more specific? Map of the city, of the duchy, of the kingdom, the world?”

I hadn't really thought of that so much yet, how far this journey might take me. “The kingdom.” I can always buy another if I leave the borders.

“Which one?” He shakes his head and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Sorry, this is exactly why I don't deal with customers when I can avoid it. I get testy when I'm tired, and I'm always tired, and that's because I have to do extra work, because of certain WORTHLESS APPRENTICES THAT DON'T SHOW UP AT DAWN LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO!” With that, his hand quickly grabs a small straight piece of wood from one of the nearby desks and hurls it like a dart over my shoulder. I hear a grunt of pain followed by some grumbling. He looks past me, “Now sit down and get to work! Quit your grumbling, it was just a straight edge. It didn't draw blood, next time it'll be a pen, and that will!” The only young man that doesn't stop grumbling as they all sit down and begin working at the empty desks is rubbing at a small welt on his forehead.

“That was a good shot, you do that often?”

“Often enough that the smartest ones were using you as cover. Now you, of course, mean this kingdom. Build says fighting man, age says leader position, clothes and sword at your back say otherwise. Sellsword? I'm guessing you probably want one emphasizing trade routes and hubs, but then again all I know about mercenary work is guarding caravans...”

“Actually, I'd like to know where I can find the larger temples and shrines.”

“Really now? Well you're in luck, then. Fellow the other day wanted a map drawn up for a religious pilgrimage he was going to undertake, after it was done and he came to pick it up and pay for it he decided that I should lower the price for a devout such as him. Got rather flustered when I told him that he should have tried negotiating a better price when he ordered the thing, ended up leaving without paying and without the map. Here take a look.”

He rummages through a shelf full of rolled up parchment, and pulls one out. At a glance, it seems easy enough to read, some of the cities are further labeled with a temple name, and many shrines are just out on their own. The nearest is a Church of The Scythe, about three daymarches away. I think I'll pass on that one, even though I'm sure the death worshipers would love me. Looks like a good enough map to me, overall.

We negotiate a price, in the end it's very expensive for a piece of parchment. As I head towards Dartac's to see how long the armor will be, I check the map more thoroughly. It looks like I'll be heading northeast though, through the town of Timberfell. Not sure which way I'll go from there yet, probably further north toward the nearest Shrine of the Traveler. Just over a daymarch to Timberfell. I suppose I'll buy five days of rations though, when the time comes. One thing I agree with The Captain on is bringing much more food than you plan on needing, especially if it keeps well. With that in mind I can place that as an order with one of the merchants once I find out when my armor will be ready.

After regaining my bearing of where I am in town, (I can almost hear The Captain, “Getting lost in town because you were too busy reading a map. Good job, Leo, good job.”) I make it to Dartac's smithy once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment