Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Part 12a “Presenting a Threat”


I wouldn't want this thing loose on the streets. I knocked it into that pile, so I guess it's my problem to fix. Though, I'll see if I can do it with this new weapon first. Oh, look, it is going to salute this time. I draw the throwing axe in my off hand as it assumes a stance somewhat different from the previous one. Now threatening me with a small sword attached to its right forearm and a broken off end of a spear somehow stuck to its wrist. I should look out for kicks as well, a dagger and an axe head seem to have stuck to its legs. The rest of the weapons stuck to its body are positioned in ways to render them nonthreatening. I'm assuming that they were reject weapons, but that doesn't mean they weren't any good. They might just not have been good enough to sell.

I am startled when the empty crossbow that has attached itself to the left side of the pelgolem's torso draws itself back. I sidestep to my left to avoid any sort of shot. When I hear the mechanism fire, a small burst of flower petals comes forth and drifts slowly to the ground. I find myself dodging toward my right when the golem takes a swing, aiming to stick me in the shoulder with the sword on its right arm. Much more dangerous than before, not something I should be doing unarmored.

I step back and toss the axe at the things head, but I'm high and to the left. Okay, not something I'm accurate with in my off hand. The axe imbeds itself in the wall behind the weaponized golem, vanishes, and then reappears in my hand, throwing of my balance just enough to let the golem deflect a mace shot I had aimed at it's elbow. Right, putting that away for now. I deflect an incoming spear thrust as I stick the axe back into my belt and adopt a two handed stance with the mace. The crossbow is still firing occasional puffs of petals, that distraction isn't helping either.

I take a few more swings, but the golem's defense is much tighter than it was before, and the counter attacks are enough of a threat to keep me back a bit. The spear tip grazes my shoulder, adding a small spark and shock that stings like hell.

No shield, one-handed mace, sure it was doing just fine for a weapon I considered using with a shield, but damn it. . .

I shift the mace into my left hand so I can hang it at my belt as I grab my claymore. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment